Monday, October 25, 2010

Tie on Fire or Happy 21st Birthday!!!

I guess it is cold there, eh? We had some really warm days this past week, but it is forecasted to snow tomorrow! So exciting! Thanks for the birthday wishes and packages, etc. I can't believe how old I am! I don't know why, but the jump from 20 to 21 seems a lot bigger than the jump from 19 to 20 did. Weird. It is weird to think that sister missionaries can't leave until they turn 21, but I am going home now that I have turned 21. I had a great birthday. President and Sister Daniels made us an amazing dinner (flank steak and baked potatoes). I don't know if the steak as just really that good or if it was that I haven't eaten steak for 2 years, but that steak was the best steak I have ever had! Seriously, it was way good. And it probably cost a pretty penny, too. Cheap steak in Japan is more expensive than expensive steak in America, and knowing the Daniels, they didn't buy a cheap steak.
Ok, now for the next exciting news of the week: we met a guy named Kim! (I hope that makes Dad happy.) He is Korean and he agreed to meet with us this upcoming week.
We had some good lessons this past week. I especially enjoyed meeting with the Philipino family this week. So remember how last week I made some kind of comment about blessings from tithing, but then a side note that we hadn't talked about it? Well, guess what they brought up when we were talking with them? That's right, tithing! It was a really good lesson and they seem to understand better than any Japanese person ever. When we were reviewing the Book of Mormon and how it is another testament of Christ, the mom said, "Oh, so there is the Old Testament, New Testament, and Another Testament. That seems nice." She says that a lot: "that seems nice". A Japanese person could never make that connection, mostly because the translations don't line up as nicely as their English counterparts. At the end of the lesson the dad gave the closing prayer and it was really great. I could tell that he loved us and cared about us. Rarely has an investigator prayed so purely for the missionary's welfare.
This week we met a couple of 20 year old German guys and had a fun time talking with them. They were blown away by what we do as missionaries. The both of them are in Sapporo for a year doing civil service instead of mandatory German military service. They were amazed by the fact that we were paying our own money, rather than getting paid. But even more than that, they were amazed at what we actually do. One of them said, "I would never be able to do what you are doing, even if I got paid to do it!" They couldn't believe that we had a curfew, that we actually obeyed our curfew, that we didn't have Japanese girlfriends, that we didn't try selling the Book of Mormon in order to make some money, that we didn't party, etc. They couldn't believe that we are willingly to do this, and that we are even paying for it. It reminded me how special being a missionary really is. According to just about anybody's standards, being a missionary is absolutely crazy. But I know that God lives and loves us, that He sent His Beloved Son to save us, and restored the truth of the gospel in these latter days. Because I know that, I have to share it, even if it means obeying a curfew and not making any money and putting off college for two years. Thank you to everyone that is supporting me in this "crazy" endeavor. Your support means more to me than I can ever express. Thank you.
We had a lesson this week where the guy kept smoking. I was embarrased to talk with people for the next few days because I smelled like a smoker. Ok, not really, but I did smell for a few days.
Anyways, I love you all. Thank you for all that you do.
 

No comments: